On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 5:50 AM, Yoav Nir <y...@checkpoint.com> wrote:

>  On Jul 11, 2013, at 12:32 AM, Trevor Perrin <tr...@trevp.net> wrote:
>

>  ChannelID seems to solve these problems, seems more polished than other
> proposals, and apparently is being experimentally deployed (see Chrome |
> Preferences | Cookies and site data | "google.com" or "gmail.com").
>

>   - Will you be willing to review the problem statement?
>>  - Will you be willing to read multiple solution proposals to help the
>> working group choose?
>>  - Will you be willing to review the solution document?
>>

>  I'd be more interested in websec taking this on if someone could argue
> why ChannelID is *not* the right solution, and had some ideas how to do
> better.
>

>  Hi Trevor
>
>  [wearing no hats]
>
>  ChannelID is a TLS-layer extension. As such, it does nothing for HTTP.

That's true, but is it important?

If a site can't be bothered to deploy TLS, is it going to deploy a new
session management mechanism?

The security gain of improving cookies without deploying TLS seems small -
it might protect cookies at "http://example.com"; from someone who hacks "
http://test.example.com";, but that's about it.

But even if we restrict our solution to HTTPS, I don't see how ChannelID
> helps a problem like the BEAST and CRIME attacks. In both cases, the issue
> is the scoping of cookie use. An attacker's web page or script can cause
> the UA to send requests of the attacker's choosing to a server. This has
> nothing to do with TLS - this in an HTTP behavior.

ChannelID solves this problem.

The goal of BEAST, CRIME, or other forms of cookie theft is to steal a
*usable* cookie.  With ChannelID, the channel-bound cookie that an attacker
might steal is unusable.

What we need, IMO, is a new cookie with new rules, such as that cookies
> will be indexed by origin and refer(r)er so that my UA would use different
> cookies for requests stemming from pages from google and requests initiated
> by pages and scripts from other origins. This kind of rule change is more
> important than either the crypto binding or the request hashing.

Deriving new cookie values based on where the cookie originated and where
it is being sent is one approach.

But making cookies sent to a particular client untransferable to other
clients seems equally valid, and is simpler if you can rely on something
(eg "ChannelID") to securely differentiate clients.

Trevor