On Oct 9, 2010, at 11:45 AM, Drew Jensen wrote:
> Hello Florian
>
> Will want Ben's input - but after reading along here I've been up
> looking through the docs for the Twiki/FosWiki
>
> Seems localization is handled at the web level, not the site level,
> enabled at the site level.
>
> So it appears that, for instance, in the example site Ben's group setup
> up each of the 3 'webs' could have a different language setting.
>
> But would need confirmation - been looking at example sites with the
> wiki engine - haven't found one utilizing this feature yet - it be nice
> to see it in action...not that software never runs exactly as defined in
> the docs...no, never.

This appears to be a moot point now that a MediaWiki has already been set up,
but based on the plugin I was looking at to provide deep multilingual support (
http://foswiki.org/Extensions/TopicTranslationsPlugin ), you could also
localize per page, called "topic" in Foswiki lingo. Thus, we could set up a
complete web for any localization community to work within their own language,
and for main web content we could generate a separate page to mirror that
content in each language as well.

I've asked a few questions on the Foswiki discussion list and gotten a friendly
response in return, with the promise of more followup soon. If you'd like to
join that list directly for a few days (which has been pretty low-volume the
past few days I've been on it), it would be great:

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
bho...@mac.com
646-464-2314 (Eastern)