On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 07:18, Stefan Schwarzer wrote:
> > Actually, I guess my real issue is that inline documentation doesn't
> > distinguish between user interfaces and internal interfaces --
> > particularly when those internal interfaces are not entirely internal,
> > like methods that you may wish to override in a subclass, but which you
> > wouldn't call directly.
>
> I share your objections on doing all documentation via docstrings. I
> also sometimes find myself struggling on whether I should rely only on
> docstrings (because it's convenient and doesn't afford to write some
> things twice) or not (because of the reasons you mentioned). In my
> opinion, it's better to have extra documentation besides the
> docstrings and as a user of Webware I would prefer to have the extra
> documentation. Additionally, even (potential) developers would be
> better off with starting with overviews and _then_ reading source
> code/docstrings. Then, attracting more users which eventually become
> contributors might make the further development of Webware easier.

Hmm... I just thought about a compromise between docstrings and external
documentation -- at least for certain classes/modules, we could put the
relevant documentation in the docstring for the module.   This gives us
freedom to structure it however we want, but more importantly it makes
it easy to keep that documentation up to date as the module changes.  We
could also include references to any external documentation that may
need to be updated along with it.

There's still a lot of other documentation we'd need -- but this can
cover things like Page, HTTPRequest/Response, Session, and maybe some
other stuff.  Potentially we can leave a lot of the reference
documentation in this docstring form, and allude to it in other
documentation (where we'd only introduce the most common usage).

  Ian