Christoph Zwerschke wrote:
Ian Bicking wrote:

> To me, Webware's lack of a conventional Python installation process has always been a serious problem. There's no reason to use Webware's distribution mechanism (which clearly is slow and error prone, which has a lot to do with the many-year delay of 0.9) when you have a new piece of code that can easily be distributed by itself.

Ok, so by your advice I will make DBUtils an independent package on the top level of the repository. Is there a way for me to put a tarball in the download section that I can refer to from the wiki?

Do you just need to edit pages on the site? We can hook you up with ssh access; just send me a username. For actual file downloading, I might suggest just uploading it to the Cheese Shop/PyPI -- if you use setuptools instead of distutils, you can do "python setup.py register" to list it, then "python setup.py sdist upload" to upload it there. It's less annoying to work with than SF, IMHO. But if you want to upload it to SF that would be fine too; you'd probably need developer permissions there to do that.

I will only make some minor changes to MiscUtils/DBPool.py and add a note about the existence of DBUtils.

Speaking about Webware installation, how difficult do you think would it be to change Webware to use a standard distutils or setuptools installer? Everything except bin would go to the site-packages directory. MakeAppWorkDir could be the same as always.

It could be distributed with distutils. There were concerns about the number of top-level packages it provides (e.g., MiscUtils, WebUtils, PSP, WebKit, etc), but in the end I don't think it's so bad. Especially if you use setuptools, so that people can install Webware so it won't clash even if another package uses the same top-level package names.

So it might not be that hard to convert; if it works out, I think that's definitely a worthwhile change to make before going to 1.0.

--
Ian Bicking  /  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /  http://blog.ianbicking.org