On Monday 24 February 2003 11:59 pm, Jeremy Lowery wrote:
> After this bugger is up and running I'm probably going to hack
> webware and make it auto compile tmpl files and stick the
> template-servlets into a cache var directory, thus removing the need
> for cheetah compile and all the extra files (gonna have to watch
> performance though).

I would be interested in using that. WebKit's ServletFactory hook was
intended to allow us to add any file type to WebKit that we desire and
write any necessary Python code to make it happen. Cheetah's author,
Tavis, ran into some technical problems however. If I recall, it was
regarding Cheetah inheritance. fyi

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 07:01 am, Aaron Held wrote:
> For common things such as basic blogs, shopping carts or slashdot
> clones, why bother with the advantages of Webware, just drop in a PHP
> app.

Sure. In fact, the discussion boards for StockAlerts.com were created
with a pre-built PHP app, the rest in Webware. But 97% of the time, the
applications I build are not blogs, traditional carts or
slashdot-wannabes.

> All of the the webware apps I have worked on have been very
> application specific that are not generally useful other then as
> examples.

I think with the given PHP and Perl/CGI (think Twiki.org) apps
available, there is less incentive to recreate these things in Webware.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful, but ...

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 08:00 am, Andreas Poisel wrote:
> BTW: A-A-P is a really great tool for a lot of jobs when creating and
> maintaining webware applications (compiling templates to servlets,
> publishing files, running test suites, ...).

Your experiences and instruction in using AAP with Webware would make an
excellent new Wiki page:
http://webware.colorstudy.net/twiki/bin/view/Webware

nudge nudge

-Chuck