Winston WOLFF wrote:
Thanks for the perspective. Like you, I found Webware after examining Zope, and I found Zope too overwhelming. I wanted something simpler and smaller.

Regarding DocumentTemplate, that's an interesting alternative. I'll have to look into that. I've been switching a lot between Cheetah and PSP and I'm not satisfied with either. Cheetah almost works for me, but I keep running into one problem--I can't run callMethodOfServlet() on it. It does some tricky things to inherit from Servlet and messes us things inside the transaction object which causes a failure.

I'd recommend not using Cheetah templates as servlets -- it's better to have the template separate, and have the servlet call the template.

I'd also discourage using DocumentTemplate -- it's really a dead-end, and is being actively replaced by Zope Page Templates in Zope. Personally I've grown to hate DTML in the Zope context; I'd never actually realized you could use them outside of Zope, but then I've never had any desire. And though DTML is faster than ZPT, it's likely to be slower than Cheetah or PSP (which are compiled to Python, where DTML is interpreted). ZPT is definitely slower than them all.

ZPT is also available separate from Zope, and I've used them a great deal with Webware, quite successfully I think.

--
Ian Bicking  /  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /  http://blog.ianbicking.org