From: "Noel Chang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 11:40 AM
Subject: "Appropriate" physical safeguards

---
You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at

http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the same

as the address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe
form at http://subscribe.wedi.org

---
I would be interested in hearing from people who deal with solo

practitioners

or small group practices, what are some of the issues you are having to
address in the doctor's office to ensure that "appropriate" physical
safeguards are provided (section 164.530(c)).  Let's ignore the
administrative and technical safeguards for now.

For example:

At the check in window, is a sliding, frosted glass, window always
necessary?  As long as computer terminals are not visible, nor any other

PHI,

I say no.

Are lockable doors necessary at every point that you do not intend

non-office

personnel to access?  Many offices I have seen have a door that separate

the

waiting room from the rest of the office.  Once you are in the exam area,
however, you can move freely (without any keys or combinations) from the

exam

room to the insurance desk, to medical records area, to the referrals

area,

etc.  I would say it is pretty obvious that these areas are not intended

for

patients to access but what is appropriate?  Do I have to have locking

doors

to separate these areas from the exam rooms?  Can I just post signs that
notify patients that an area is restricted and they are not supposed to
enter?  This is a gray area to me and without seeing the work area being
considered I would argue it is impossible to make blanket statements about
what is appropriate.  Do people agree or do they feel there are some hard

and

fast rules concerning how the physical work space should be layed out?

Noel Chang

---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated. The

discussions on this listserv therefore represent the views of the individual
participants, and do not necessarily represent the views of the WEDI Board
of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If you wish to receive an official opinion, post
your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues Database at
http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.   These listservs should not be used for
commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products and
services.  They also are not intended to be used as a forum for personal
disagreements or unprofessional communication at any time.

---