On Saturday, 16 October 2021 at 07:07:31 UTC+10 bill.g...@gmail.com wrote:

> And another option, replace the ISS.

Yes, but given that ISS data is clearly getting to the console/logger (the
loop packets are fine) and since the logger is solely responsible for
constructing the hardware archive record I would see replacing the ISS as a
long shot.

> But the SDR method might be some interesting fun.

Remember the two issues with using SDR are (1) as the pressure sensor is in
the console you will lose all pressure information (and any WeeWX derived
obs that utilise pressure) unless you provide pressure data separately and
(2) you lose the ability to catchup if WeeWX is down for any period of
time. The other complicating factor with using a SDR with a Vantage ISS is
that you have to contend with with the frequency hopping used between ISS
and console, still doable but not with the standard WeeWX SDR driver.

I'm puzzled why this is happening, would like to trace it down and fix it,
> but I also don't want to know that much about python or the internals of
> weewx.  I can fiddle with this given some direction though.
>
> So, the fix works. I'd be wondering about Tom's thoughts about the final
> solution.  But I think an update to the Vantage driver might be helpful to
> people as 4.6.0 and the Seasons skins rolls out.  A short, here is the
> weewx.conf update, and how to clear the database and rebuild the daily
> summaries.  Which did require deleting and regenerating the summaries.

I'm not sure there is a final solution short of replacing the faulty
hardware. I don't see modification on the vantage driver being required, it
is doing its job and decoding the data provided by the console/logger.
There is no way for the driver to distinguish between good data (ie from a
station that has valid leafTempx data) and bogus data. In the main the
driver cannot tell what sensors exist/do not exist other than by the data
included in the packet/record. Arguably you could look at what is (or is
not in the loop packet) and if something is in the archive record but not
in the loop packet you discard it but this will only cover a limited suite
of fields (the loop packets are pretty sparse in some regards) and this
adds a level of complexity that addresses a very rare corner case that I
think Tom will say is not warranted.

Gary