I am not an apache expert either, but from what I can tell, the problem is
that the weewx Debian installs sets HTML_ROOT incorrectly. It's being set
to /var/www, when it should be /var/www/html.

Because of this, the HTML files are being put in a directory that is not
accessible to the Apache server, at least not without modifying its
configuration file.

Try going into /etc/weewx/weewx.conf and changing the lines

    # Where the generated reports should go, relative to WEEWX_ROOT
    HTML_ROOT = /var/www/weewx

    # Where the generated reports should go, relative to WEEWX_ROOT
    HTML_ROOT = /var/www/weewx/html

then restart weewx.

If my diagnosis is correct, I'm amazed that this problem has been sitting
here all this time. Perhaps Apache changed the default DocumentRoot
recently?

-tk