On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 4:47:09 PM UTC-4, Tom Keffer wrote:

> I am not an apache expert either, but from what I can tell, the problem is
> that the weewx Debian installs sets HTML_ROOT incorrectly. It's being set
> to /var/www, when it should be /var/www/html.

blame it on more redhat-ification (and disregard for users) of debian.

in debian 7 and earlier, DocumentRoot was /var/www

in debian 8, DocumentRoot is /var/www/html

in redhat and suse, DocumentRoot has been /var/www/html for quite some time

there are at least two solutions:

a) modify HTML_ROOT in weewx.conf:

sudo sed -i -e 's%HTML_ROOT =.*%HTML_ROOT = /var/www/html/weewx%'
/etc/weewx/weewx.conf

b) create a symlink to the weewx report directory:

sudo ln -s ../weewx /var/www/html

i tend to prefer the latter, especially for systems such as rpi where the
weewx reports are on a tmpfs to minimize sd card wear.

i have not yet figured out a solution for the weewx .deb package that will
work out-of-the-box with pre deb8 and post deb8 systems.  it would be nice
if it worked with lighthttpd and nginx web servers as well as apache.