At this point I'm starting to feel like this would be a neat little project
for me to get familiar with a number of things (weewx, python, sqlite,
etc.), so I'm feeling a bit ambitious and think I'll give this a try myself.

I definitely think storing the info in a database is the way to go.  mwall
mentioned creating a separate database and then running a service twice a
day.  I like this approach because it will allow me to mess around as a
noob without potentially screwing up the real database.

I also like the sunrise/sunset as the day/night boundary idea.  With that
said, what do you guys think makes the most sense from the standpoint of
database construction and then calling upon it usefully later?  This is
what I was thinking (and please let me know if this is silly, especially if
my primary key makes no sense).  The DB will have one table with the
primary key, day, and night values.  I can use something like YYYY-MM-DD as
the primary key.  Night would be the average temperature between sunset the
previous day and sunrise of the present day.  Day would be populated at
sunset with the average temperature between sunrise and sunset.
 Alternatively, the primary key could be the unix epoch for 00:00 GMT of
that day to keep conversions more fluid (since the service would only
populate it at sunrise and sunset and the value is not really
time-dependent but rather date-dependent).  Or it could just be the unix
epoch for the time that the service runs.  Whatever makes it easier for
later recall.