Now I seem to have broken the entire thing.  I decided to try the python
installation method, so ran `apt-get remove weewx` and then downloaded the
tarball to try a manual installation.

This time, there is content in /var/www/html but hardly anything (except
user) under /usr/share/weewx.  Everything is under /home but even when I
place the new driver into /usr/share/weewx/user and modify the
configuration file, I still get...

  1 14:11:35 weather systemd[1]: Starting LSB: weewx weather system...

Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12205]: engine: Initializing weewx version
3.8.0
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12205]: engine: Using Python 2.7.13 (default,
Jan 19 2017, 14:48:08) #012[GCC 6.3.0 20170124]
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12205]: engine: Platform
Linux-4.9.59-v7+-armv7l-with-debian-9.1
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12205]: engine: Locale is 'en_GB.UTF-8'
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12205]: engine: pid file is /var/run/weewx.pid

Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12209]: engine: Using configuration file
/home/weewx/weewx.conf
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12209]: engine: Loading station type WMR300 (
weewx.user.wmr300.py)
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12209]: engine: Caught unrecoverable
exception in engine:
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12209]:     ****  No module named
user.wmr300.py
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12209]:     ****  Traceback (most recent call
last):
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12209]:     ****    File
"/home/weewx/bin/weewx/engine.py", line 865, in main
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12209]:     ****      engine =
engine_class(config_dict)
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12209]:     ****    File
"/home/weewx/bin/weewx/engine.py", line 71, in __init__
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12209]:     ****
 self.setupStation(config_dict)
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12209]:     ****    File
"/home/weewx/bin/weewx/engine.py", line 95, in setupStation
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12209]:     ****      __import__(driver)
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12209]:     ****  ImportError: No module
named user.wmr300.py
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12209]:     ****  Exiting.
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather systemd[1]: Started LSB: weewx weather system.
Jan  1 14:11:35 weather weewx[12193]: Starting weewx weather system: weewx.

Am I right in stating that in the driver section of the configuration file,
a dot is the directory separator?   The file is indexed this way in the
configuration file...

root@weather:/usr/share/weewx/user# grep driver /home/weewx/weewx.conf
    driver = user.wmr300.py

I tried to change that to weewx.user.wmr300.py to no avail.  I also tried
copying the file into /home/weewx but again, no luck.  It's trying to find
the python file, but I don't know 1. where to put it and 2. how to point
the configuration file at it.

At this point, I'm thinking of jacking the whole thing in and re-installing
raspbian to start again.