On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 6:22 AM mwall <goo...@lancet.mit.edu> wrote:

> the OutOfSpan failure killed the report thread, and that brought down
> weewx.  imho this is a bug - weewx should continue to collect data, even if
> the report thread cannot do its job.

I'm not seeing that. When the engine shuts down, it calls the shutDown()
method of all running services. Then the engine exits. I think what you are
seeing is the results of calling StdReport.shutDown().

Perhaps this could be made more clear by having the engine put a message in
the log to the effect ("Engine exiting; starting shutdown of all services")
before calling all the shutDown() methods.

As to the root cause, it's probably the unusual archive interval (420
seconds). There may be an underlying assumption in the code that the
midnight boundary will always fall at the end of an archive interval and,
when it doesn't, this failure occurs. I'd have to test.

But, is it important? Yes, there's probably a bug, but it's a pretty minor
one. Alternatively, we could test the archive interval to make sure it's
divisible into 60 and refuse to run if it isn't.

-tk