Matthew,

 Sorry forgot to answer your question on wx_ftp_upload and wx_cp_index.
They are a couple of services I added in the early days of using weewx
wx_ftp_load - to upload some camera images from my local directories. I
could easily remove and put the images in the html path, but just haven't
got around to it.
wx_cp_index -  I was using as a cheap copy of the index.html file to a
network drive so I can have a monitoring system check to see if the weewx
system has failed and perform some restart operations and send out some
admin email messages. One of my remote sites uses a couple of cheap
TEMPerHum sensors that I have had  trouble with causing USB hangs on the
RPi, so monitoring for a stale index file was the approach I took to detect
this type of system failure. As you know USB hangs are problematic for
Acurite stations as sometimes the Acurite stations stop talking completely
when it happens. Only solution I have found that works consistently is to
power down the weewx RPi and wait for 30mins for the Acurite to reset
itself due to no USB traffic then reboot the RPi. So I set up a separate
RPi as a system monitor and it handles all that via GPIO pins on the weewx
RPi

As for stale data I have just started seeing that from both stations that
past few weeks, generally not an issue. My thinking is that the batteries
in the 5 in 1's are reaching the end of the life cycle and will need to be
changed.

Thanks,