Leon: thank you very much for your reply...lots of interesting things
there. I like the top command rather than free as top would give me the %
of memory used by weewxd. I took the command ps -C weewxd -o
comm,size,rss,vsize,%mem (which I never saw before, thank you!) and
shortened it to ps -C weewxd -o %mem as that is the parameter I am
interested in tracking. I then made the following script, which has a
problem: It does not send the email when the first "threshold" is exceeded;
it sends an email that the second threshold is exceeded and simultaneously
restarts weewx. Do I have something in the wrong order in the script?

#!/bin/bash

threshold=3
threshold2=4

usage=$(($(ps -C weewxd -o %mem |awk 'NR==2 {printf ("%.0f", $1}')))

if [ "$usage" -gt "$threshold2" ]

then

sudo /etc/init.d/service_name restart

     if [ "$usage" -gt "$threshold" ]

     then

     echo "The memory usage has reached $usage% on $HOSTNAME." | mail -s
"High Memory Usage Alert" someoneseamailaddress

     fi
fi