*So you're asking for a complete re-write of the skin?* By all means fork
it and make it your own! :)

weewx is only generating a small number of web pages for Belchertown. That
overhead - even on a Pi - is very small. Disable Highcharts and you will
see. Set Belchertown skin.conf option highcharts_enabled = 0.

It's the charts with large time spans with a lot of data points. that will
bog a Pi down. This is a known fact, and even documented with a warning
inside of graphs.conf itself
<https://github.com/poblabs/weewx-belchertown/blob/master/skins/Belchertown/graphs.conf.example#L6-L8>
.

As for the AJAX calls, it's calling 2 files and all the chart data. One is
the weewx_data.json to populate various fields on the front page, forecast
json for forecast data, and then all the chart data.

Calling chart data over an AJAX call is not a problem for your Pi, only a
problem for the client (like a cell phone not on wifi) if the data set is
very large.

Sorry, but I don't have the time to create and support a REST API which
everyone can point their system to in order to get updates. This is why I
chose MQTT and why the skin is using it. That's Scenario 5
<https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/dashboards#scenario-5-multiple-stations-using-mqtt>
.

As for the graphs, not everyone has web-facing access to MySQL, so the JSON
files are preferred for many users of the skin based on feedback.

There are other skins here, one of which have launched Highcharts within
the last 3 days. That skin also uses the JSON method to transport data to
the chart and client.

I'm working on the generator delay option you've asked twice for. My draft
is working but there's limitations to it. I'll commit something when I can.