On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 8:30:34 AM UTC-8, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I don't follow "password-protected" entirely.

oh - I meant protecting the Internet MQTT broker from nefarious
denial-of-service from the script kiddies.

The LAN broker will need to forward/post to the Internet broker instance.
You want to make sure it's just 'you' who can post data there, so enabling
the MQTT username/password setup on the Internet broker will help stop the
bad guys from messing with your data.  The LAN MQTT broker can (probably)
be open for writes without username/password needed, depending on how you
like to set your LAN up.

My setup at home has a bunch of pi and arduinos and sensors posting to
local MQTT without any passwords needed.  When I had the Internet MQTT
broker being bridged to (as MQTT uses the term) from the LAN, I had just
'that' one requiring a username/password, and also had some packet filters
etc. limiting the incoming MQTT traffic to be from the pretty stable public
ip address my home LAN NAT's out to Internet on via my service provider.

But no I didn't mean webserver username+pass.  Sorry for any confusion
there.