ctl-Z stop just means you have paused the command and placed it in background -
it is still there, waiting, but paused (and holding the lock). bring it back to
foreground to resume and interact with it by      $ fg
then kill it with ctl-C
(or use some other method to kill it gently such as    $ kill %1    )
then try the command again.
cheers