On Wednesday, 29 July 2020 10:00:01 UTC+10, brisguy foo wrote:

> UPDATE:
>
> Changed by weewx,conf file to read:
> [Vantage]
> # Use LOOP2 data in order to get access to wind_chill
>     loop_request = 2
>
> Restarted weewx
>
> After only an hour or so, I saw that my console was reporting wind-chill
> that was 2 to 3 degrees lower than outside temp, but the weewx graph showed
> no difference.

Using the plots to check what is happening can give misleading results; not
saying that is the case here but some plots are not generated every cycle
and there can be caching issues. Best evidence is to look at what is in the
database or loop packets/archive records or look at the database.

> Checked the syslog file today, and at the time of the restart found the
> following odd statement:
> 16:40:18 raspberrypi weewx[30378]: wxcalculate: The following values will
> be calculated: barometer=prefer_hardware, windchill=prefer_hardware,
> dewpoint=prefer_hardware, appTemp=prefer_hardware,
> rainRate=prefer_hardware, windrun=prefer_hardware,
> heatindex=prefer_hardware, maxSolarRad=prefer_hardware,
> humidex=prefer_hardware, pressure=prefer_hardware,
> inDewpoint=prefer_hardware, ET=prefer_hardware, altimeter=prefer_hardware,
> cloudbase=prefer_hardware
>
> It seems odd that weewx would report it is calculating values that have
> been set to 'prefer_hardware', plus I only used that for five parameters,
> and weewx is reporting it has been set for several more.
>
> So now I have two issues:
> 1. How can I tell whether LOOP2 packets ate being used (the graph
> indicates they are not)

There is no direct way that I know of. I would stop WeeWX and then run it
directly so you see the loop packets and archive records on the console.
What do you see in the loop packets (lines starting with LOOP:) and archive
records (lines starting REC:) on the console? How does windchill compare to
outTemp? If you are seeing THSW in the loop packets then WeeWX is receiving
the LOOP2 format loop packet, if THSW is not there then I suspect you are
still using the LOOP format loop packets.

> 2. Why is weewx reporting it is calculating values that have been set to
> 'prefer_hardware'?

If WeeWX is calculating windchill it is most likely because windchill is
not being received by WeeWX. Change 'prefer_hardware' to 'hardware' for
windchill and restart/reload WeeWX. If windchill disappears it will be
because WeeWX is not receiving windchill which implies you are still using
LOOP format loop packets.

@tkeffer. Tom, I see the vantage driver does not log what format loop
packet is being used, perhaps it should?

Gary