My suspicion is that this happens because of unusual propagation conditions
such as "tropospheric ducting," which may be associated with unusual
weather or sunspot activity, among other factors. There are occasions when
distant radio or TV signals can be received briefly, sometimes stronger
than local stations. The same conditions might affect the frequencies used
by weather sensors.

I have a rooftop 5in1 for wind and rain measurements and a
temperature/humidity sensor in the back yard, both connected through an
Acurite bridge. Sometimes Weewx stops receiving data from one sensor, while
the other continues to work for a time. Then the other sensor will go
silent, as well, and shortly afterward the first sensor will reappear.
Eventually, the second sensor also reconnects.

The time difference suggests to me that the outages are caused by something
in motion, which could be an atmospheric condition. I can't rule out the
possibility that there's some sort of local source of interference, though.

I'm sure there are people reading this forum who know more about RF than I
do, so it would be great to hear their opinions about this.