Thanks for the replies. I'm still scratching my head about this issue. A
few weeks ago i installed a wifi plug onto the power line of the Raspberry
Pi and i have been experimenting... whenever i see the station losing
signal and having a breakup in the reporting (ie. *user.sdr: lines=[]*)
then i power off the Raspberry Pi using the wifi switch which gives it a
hard power off. I leave it off for 1 minute then power it back on and so
far, every single time i do that, the raspberry pi starts receiving a
signal from the Acurite5-in-1 again.

Currently, i am led to believe the RTL-SDR dongle i think i've installed (this
one
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HA642SW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>)

is actually faulty. Because a software reset doesn't bring it back online,
but a hard reset always does. Would be curious to know if anyone else has
experienced anything like this? My next step is to purchase a new RTL-SDR
dongle and see if it solves the problem.

Thanks,
Sean.