I have a rpi 3 +B with a usb keyboard, a bluetooth mouse and ther logger
connected. I ran Vince's procedure and as far as I can interpret the
readouts, they showed  logger connected, unconnected then reconnected again.

I then ran 'sudo lsof /dev/ttyusb0'  and got this message:

lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/1000/gvfs
      Output information may be incomplete.
COMMAND PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
python3 616 root    4u   CHR  188,0      0t0  256 /dev/ttyUSB0
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog

Dunno what that means.

At about that point weewx had started getting data from the logger again
and continues to do so now.  We'll see if it continues to hang in there.

Incidentally, I also tried running 'screen' and 'minicom' utilities
according to the 'Establishing connectivity' instructions provided in the
Trouble Shooting article and got 'command not found' messages.

Thank YOU GUYS for hanging in there with me,

Tim