Thank you Vince and Gary for your replies.
Vince:  I am using the quickstart guide you reference, even thought it
references the Buster distro rather than the Bullseye distro.  I found that
using Buster, I continuously ended up with 'configobj' problems.  Using
Bullseye, that is no longer an issue.  Not sure why that is the case.
Gary:  My preference for the setup.py install is that is puts everything in
one place.  Being sort of new, this is much easier for me to track
something down.
The instructions I am following are as follows: (after installing all of
the prerequisites)
3. Install WeeWX

After installing the prerequisites, you can install WeeWX itself.

   1.

   Expand the source archive:
   tar xvfz weewx-X.Y.Z.tar.gz
   2.

   Change directory into the expanded archive:
   cd weewx-X.Y.Z
   3.

   To specify an install location different from the default /home/weewx,
   modify the parameter home in the setup.cfg file. Mac users will want to
   change it to /Users/Shared/weewx.
   4.

   Then build and install. Python 2 users: substitute python2 for python3.
   python3 ./setup.py build
   5. sudo python3 ./setup.py install

4. Run

Run the main program directly:
cd /home/weewx sudo ./bin/weewxd

------

It's a bit confusing that there is no mention of *where* to expand the
source archive.  It does say that the default location is in /home/weewx,
but clearly running tar as mentioned is going to create a subdirectory of
weewx-X.Y.Z.  Might it be prudent to move the contents of the expanded
archive into /home/weewx, before the build and install operations?

Thank you, once again.

Michael