Just took an installation that used the deb file and changed the
/etc/weewx/weewx.conf to reflect /dev/ttyS0.
I no longer get the data spitting out to the console as before.
What I do see is lots of data coming out of sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog.
That seems like it might be a 'good thing'?    I've not yet seen my posting
to Weatherunderground at KCAPLACE82.
Perhaps I need to wait a while?  It's been offline for about 3 weeks.
Thanks for coming back to me!

Michael