The instructions are actually ok as written, as there is no right/wrong
rule for where to download/expand the .tar.gz file into.  FWIW -  typically
I use /var/tmp when I do it, but there is no right or wrong answer there.

In your case, I suspect you simply neglected to 'cd /home/weewx' in step-4
before running the sudo command.   You need to be in the 'installed'
location when you run the sudo command, not the 'source' directory your
.tar.gz file expanded into.