It's doesn't matter what the fiaranch account is.

Unless you did something special, weewx runs as root so you have to set up
passwordless ssh in the 'root' account for weewx's rsync uploader to work.
  All your steps looked correct to me.  You just didn't do it under the
root account.

Note - do "sudo bash" to open a bash shell as root when you set things up.
 You should be able to do "ssh fiaranch.com" and have it log in
successfully if you have things right.

FWIW, I have never needed to set delete=1 nor set the ServerWhatever items
in .ssh/config in many years of running the rsync uploader, but that isn't
relevant to getting you set up.  Just passing it along.

On Monday, November 14, 2022 at 12:16:44 PM UTC-8 FIA Ranch wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Now the WeeWX config file - Again omitting everything except relevant
>>> parts
>>>

>>> -----
>>> [[RSYNC]]
>>>         skin = Rsync
>>>         enable = true
>>>         server = fiaranch.com
>>>         user = fiaranch
>>>         path = /home3/fiaranch/public_html/weather/
>>>         HTML_ROOT = /var/www/html
>>>         delete = 1
>>> -------
>>> NOTE:  Yes, HTML_ROOT is a different directory
>>>
>>> Now we get to the terminal tail output using - sudo tail -f
>>> /var/log/syslog
>>>
>>> NOTE:  In the config file all debug options are on. I have left all the
>>> timestamps in the list to show it is a fast fail. I added the line breaks
>>> and line numbers to make it easier to read and note
>>> --------
>>> 1) Nov 14 08:42:30 weather weewx[71342] DEBUG weewx.reportengine:
>>> Running report 'RSYNC'
>>>
>>> 2) Nov 14 08:42:30 weather weewx[71342] DEBUG weewx.reportengine: Found
>>> configuration file /etc/weewx/skins/Rsync/skin.conf for report 'RSYNC'
>>>
>>> 3) Nov 14 08:42:30 weather weewx[71342] DEBUG weewx.reportengine: Cannot
>>> read localization file /etc/weewx/skins/Rsync/lang/en.conf for report
>>> 'RSYNC': Config file not found: "/etc/weewx/skins/Rsync/lang/en.conf".
>>>
>>> 4) Nov 14 08:42:30 weather weewx[71342] DEBUG weewx.reportengine: ****
>>> Using defaults instead.
>>>
>>> 5) Nov 14 08:42:30 weather weewx[71342] DEBUG weeutil.rsyncupload:
>>> rsyncupload: cmd: [['rsync', '--archive', '--stats', '--delete', '-e',
>>> 'ssh', '/var/www/html/',
>>> 'fiar...@fiaranch.com:/home3/fiaranch/public_html/weather']]
>>>
>>> 6) Nov 14 08:42:31 weather weewx[71342] ERROR weeutil.rsyncupload: rsync
>>> reported errors. Original command: ['rsync', '--archive', '--stats',
>>> '--delete', '-e', 'ssh', '/var/www/html/',
>>> 'fiar...@fiaranch.com:/home3/fiaranch/public_html/weather']
>>>
>>> 7) Nov 14 08:42:31 weather weewx[71342] ERROR weeutil.rsyncupload: ****
>>> Host key verification failed.
>>>
>>> 8) Nov 14 08:42:31 weather weewx[71342] ERROR weeutil.rsyncupload: ****
>>> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
>>>
>>> 9) Nov 14 08:42:31 weather weewx[71342] ERROR weeutil.rsyncupload: ****
>>> rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(235) [sender=3.1.3]
>>> ----------
>>> ERROR NOTES:
>>>
>>> Line 5 & 6 do not show the / after 'weather' it IS in the path entry in
>>> the config file
>>> Line 5 - The order of options is not the same as the command line run.
>>> Line 7 - Makes no sense since the command line runs fine.
>>> Line 9 - That error code pops regardless of the variations I have tried.
>>>  Researching those codes led to the additional entries in the config file.
>>>
>>> So there it is!!
>>>
>>> I see three things
>>> 1) Missing / after 'weather' in the command - Line 5
>>> 2) Rsync does not like the command structure or format - Line 6