Thank you Glen for the hints.
I got it working.
When I added unit_system = METRICWX to StdReport the error disappeared.
Perhaps the best place for it would be in
[StdRESTful]
[[Mastodon]]
unit_system = US, METRIC, METRICWX
if that is possible as that way one could configure it for Mastodon only.

The server part was actually the mastodon server URL that I signed in to
i.e. 'mas.to' in my case. The confusion I had was because I thought I can
find the server info from the same place where key_access_token can be
retrieved and I thought it's something funny like dev.mastodon.com or
similar where the API would reside.

Oh, one thing I discovered when trying to report the UV readings.
I got an error:
weewx[30835] CRITICAL weewx.restx: Mastodon: Thread terminating. Reason:
can only concatenate str (not "NoneType") to str
After digging around I noticed that in file
/home/weewx/bin/user/wxtoot.py in line 481
'uv_index': 'None', was causing the issue.
I changed it to:
'uv_index': '',
As I'm a lousy developer I don't know if this breaks something else but at
least "it works for me" :)
Perhaps you can take a look at that too for the coming releases.

But thanks again for instructions you provided and creating this addon.
It's an excellent replacement for Twitter.

jaMO