Sorry. I had assumed you were still using your v3.9.1 Seasons skin. If
that's the case, the tag $current.barometer is in the file
Seasons/current.inc.

Incidentally, there's no reason not to continue using your old skin.

But, if you are actually using a V4 skin, then to answer your questions:

1. The line "#set observations = ..." is actually saying get the set of
observations from $DisplayOptions. If DisplayOptions does not have an
entry, then the fallback is to use just outTemp and barometer. See the
configuration file skin.conf for what's in DisplayOptions.

2. You can specify an override for the barometer formatting for the unit
"inHg" in weewx.conf:

[StdReport]
  [[Defaults]]
    [[[Units]]]
      [[[[StringFormats]]]]
        inHg = %.2f

3. I'm not following your question about "LakeElev". I don't know what that
is.