Hmm, let me throw a question back at you. Why store dayRain in the database?

The restx uploaders will use dayRain if available in the current archive
record otherwise they will manually calculate the value (dayRain does not
need to be saved to database for it to be available in the current archive
record). Today's rainfall (or for that matter any days rainfall) can be
displayed in a report using a tag based on the rain field, again no need
for historical dayRain. By all means have your driver pass dayRain through,
it will save a few milliseconds or less each restx upload, but I don't see
much other use for historical dayRain data.

Gary