On Tuesday, January 23, 2024 at 10:49:43 PM UTC-5 joev...@gmail.com wrote:

 My upgrade from 4.10 to 5.0 on my laptop, i.e. not connected to a real
weather station thus running with the simulator device, has actually gone
very nicely but for one puzzling report. I thought installing on my laptop
would better prepare me for installing on my desktop that is actually
connected to my weather station.

Jan 23 12:06:12 xps13-9305 systemd-udevd[632]:
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-weewx.rules:4 Unknown group '{weewx}', ignoring.

1) what is User and Group in /usr/lib/systemd/system/weewx.service?

2) do any of these files exist on your system:
/etc/systemd/system/weewx.service
/etc/init.d/weewx
/etc/init.d/weewx-multi

3) what do you see when you do this:
grep weewx /etc/passwd

4) please post the contents of the file
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-weewx.rules

installation history:

initially installed on this server running fedora in 2014 via the setup.py
method. In 2020 I switched to the dnf repo method. When I first ran this
upgrade to ver 5.0 using dnf upgrade I noticed that I ended up with the
application using root:root for user:group assignments of directories and
files. Reading the installation guide some more I noted there was a
transition to weewx:weewx for those assignments. So I erased the
application then ran dnf install weewx following along the instructions for
fedora versions 34+. That seemed to correct the issue of ownership by
creating the missing user and group.

I don’t observe anything else out of place. My install starts against the
simulator device, and enters the main loop where it updates the database as
I would expect.

Question: does the error reported above as in the journal imply a
mis-configuration? Why is the group weewx identified as unknown?

when you upgrade from v4 to v5 using dnf, weewxd should run as root:root.
this is because the installer will try to respect your previous
installation, and continue to run with the same user and permissions as the

when you do a new install of v5 using dnf, weewxd should run as weewx:weewx.

note that when you 'erase' an installation with dnf, the database, located
in /var/lib/weewx, will not be deleted.  so if you were to run the v5
installer at this point, even though it is technically a new install,
because of the /var/lib/weewx with root:root ownership, the 'new' install
will run as root:root.

if you saw that v5 was running as root:root, that means you must have
deleted /var/lib/weewx, or changed its permissions.  could you verify this?