I was trying to thank you again, and to apologise for my lack of understanding.
I have managed to get so far each time, but then stumble at different points
due to my insufficient understanding of some basic Raspberry Pi functions and
features.

But I think each time I am building on my previous attempts, and just
compounding my mistakes. So yes,    a 'clean' pi installation for my next
attempt.