Yet another bit of evidence, IMO, that we really need a *completely different* approach to our graphics engine. Our current system of basing not only our gameplay, but also our drawing code on hexes really makes us jump through hoops - I'm not sure how badly, because I really haven't looked at the code yet, but something really doesn't seem right about hitpoint bars being clipped by the hex boundaries.

The only thing that should have to care about hex boundaries is the terrain drawing code, really. If some unit overlaps the side parts, it *should* overlap. And the hitpoint bars should be on an entirely different layer, overlaid above the rest of the game graphics, not as part of the unit layer.

;_; I suppose that's a project I should take on in tandem with that new particle engine, but man oh man, that ain't gonna be fun.

I'll post some plans in Developer's Discussions within a month or so, as I intend to take on this project relatively soon.