Asa Swain wrote:

> My big problem with changing the way that the "early
> victory bonus" works is that players will discover
> that you get more gold by delaying victory than by
> ending early. You "Gold" "Silver" "Win" system would
> give the player paltry amounts of gold compared to
> what they could earn in a few turns with a map that
> has, say 20-30 towns. This system would only work if
> each scenario you started with a set amount of gold,
> plus your "Gold" "Silver" "Win" bonus from last level.

I understood that the bonus thing is supposed to
completly remove the possibility to carry gold from one
scenario to another and only the bouns and minimum
starting gold would matter.

> Do we want to change the game so that each scenario
> you are guaranteed to start with enough gold to
> survive (aka a set amount of gold), plus possibly a
> small bonus from the previous level? I thought having
> gold carry over from one scenarios to the next and
> amassing gold throughout the campaign was an important
> part of the Wesnoth gameplay?

I think so, too. That proposition turns campaings into
series of almost independent single player maps, which I
would really dislike to see. While the current system may
be frustrating at times, I think it's very playable and
once player learns how to overcome problems related to
balacing of gold/army/time it turns out to be quite
rewarding.

> With WML it would be easy for me to erase the player's
> gold at the start of each scenario, then givem them a
> set amout plus a bonus for completing the previous
> scenario early. But then the emphasis on the game
> becomes finishing early and gaining experience, not
> gaining gold.

Using WML to reduce player's gold seems artificial to me.

> I agree that it is easy for campaigns to get to a
> point where gold is no longer a problem, which is why
> I am a strong proponent of keeping the 1 gold 1 upkeep
> standard for towns. Giving the player upkeep instead
> of gold is nice because they can't bank the upkeep for
> later scenarios like they can with gold. The town
> system has worked well for so long that I am hesitant
> to change it.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on that matter. It's
important to consider various gameplay changes, as there's
always some room for improvement, but this one seems too
radical in the way it changes Wesnoth.

- --
pozdrawiam
Karol 'grzywacz' Nowak