On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 06:17:49PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Here are my evaluations based on the documentation:

Thanks for doing this.

Clearly the aim is a build system that supported Unix, Windows and Mac
OS X builds.  However, for both the Win and Mac builds, the packagers
have never seemed comfortable with a process that doesn't involve the
"native" tools.  For instance, we had a perfectly functional Mac build
target.  Even though the underlying setup of XCode is just gcc and
friends, running "make bundle" on a commandline was never accepted.
Further, for Windows the native compiler is quite different to gcc,
and the build system seems tricky to control fully from a command line.

My opinion is that it would be best to have a way of building that
generates the files necessary for Mac and Win "native" builds.
Can any of the three alternatives do that reliably?

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED]