Or, 2008eko Urtren 25a(e)an, Eric S. Raymond(e)k idatzi zuen:
> If the WAF architect is is bright as I suspect he is, WAF is about a
> year of development away from being the best choice in this space,
> with a good shot at overtaking scons in deployments once it matures.
> But that year has not happened yet.  Right now I think WAF would be
> too risky for us.
>
> As for KDE picking cmake...the hackers who made that choice are
> Germans.  This means I expect them to be bright, conscientious, really
> good at sweating details, unfazed by complex specification formalisms,
> and willing to work hard to master demanding tools. It also means I
> expect them to undervalue design flexibility, to handle ambiguity
> poorly, and to tend to thrash when they have too many options.
>
> There may have been objective reasons, but the strengths and
> weaknesses I observe in cmake are so well matched to the way the
> German hackers of my acquaintance have tended to think that I strongly
> suspect that psychological match was the real reason it got picked
> over scons.

Associating cmake with KDE being german-centric is a) nonsense and b)
absolutely inaccurate. The reason for KDE to choose cmake was that a) it was
portable to OSX and MS Windows, b) it worked. In fact, it was not the first
one in the list, but it was the only one that finally worked good enough.

And as i'm noting inaccuracies, I'll write some more. It's "Isaac Clerencia",
not "Isaac de Clerencia". There's at least another person that knows the
Wesnoth autotools stuff, and that's me, since I did write it originally.
Anyway, there's only one active developer that knows the autotools stuff, and
that's you. But that's still one more than developers knowing either cmake,
scons or WAF. And I guess it'll be quite easier to find autotool developers
in the early future. Anyway, I have asked a WAF author (who happens to be a
KDE developer too) if WAF would solve bug #8635, and he said it would.

In my opionion, the main reason to migrate to cmake would be portability, but
that's something wesnoth people already has solved. I think a Scons/WAF
migration would easy further maintaince, but i'm not sure is mature enough,
and not sure migration work would make sense if you end up with just one
person knowing the internals of the build system again.

Cheers
--
Alfredo Beaumont Sainz
http://www.alfredobeaumont.org/blog.cgi