On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 06:07 +0100, Piotr Cychowski wrote:
> > To have a short list of what we need regarding speed:
> >
> > * We do need at least two cpu cores available, the game server would
> > completely
> > consume one core, the other would be for database and "everything else".
> > The CPU
> > should also be of "decent" speed, that is some dual C7 1GHz won't be
> > enough. It
> > is more like it should be a rather recent 1.5GHz+ AMD or Intel CPU, no
> > idea
> > which non-x86 deals there are for root servers.
>
> As I told Sirp on IRC, database will need at least 0,5GHz on top of any
> other CPU usage to be sure we won't hit any lockups or freezes, so
> assuming above that would leave roughly 1GHz for 'everything else' if
> you're sure it's going to be enough, above specs are fine with me.

I am actually hoping that wesnothd will not have to use anywhere near a
whole CPU by the time I'm done optimizing. In any case I think it's
unlikely that the DB and wesnothd will be peaking at exactly the same
time.

> > * Since the game alone is already mem hungry and we do have many players
> > on the
> > server, the minimum of RAM needed is 1.5GB, better 2GB if possible.
>
> Again, database will need at least the projected size of the biggest
> table (preferably twice the amount) of RAM to allow comfortable
> operations on said table. Currently that would be about 250MB (500MB),
> that might grow when we start storing stats. So the more RAM we get, the
> better for us.

RAM for wesnothd might make our RAM usage tighter, though I'm working to
optimize this too. wesnothd memory usage will depend on how many games
there are hosted though.

> I've got one important suggestion when it comes to financial matters, I
> strongly think we should get the hosting in US dollars, and that's for
> two reasons.

We're having trouble finding hosting in US dollars at competitive rates.
My wife is researching it for us though. :) But if we can't find US
hosting at competitive rates we will go with European hosting.

> For one the dollar will get rather weaker against euro in the
> short/medium term which means donations from europe will be worth more
> in dollars and able to cover greater slice of our needs.

There is no guarantee of this; it's speculation. If you are sure of it,
then you should short the US$, become rich, and then you can easily fund
a server for us. :-p

David