I won't deny that he couldn't find the "end turn" button, but IMHO he
did not correctly
diagnose *why* he had the problem.

Unless he has a badly calibrated monitor, or a vision problem, he can
indeed SEE
the button, but he didn't know where to look, and somehow didn't
notice it.
I daresay he had no trouble clicking on this "invisible" button after
he found it.

It's not the fault of the UI styling (which he blames) but his
unfamiliarity of the UI,
possibly combined with insufficient emphasis on this particular button.
Making everything more "contrasty" would not increase the overall ease
of use.

Having the end-turn button flash, glow or throb one you have moved all
units,
as in Civ IV could be a good idea, because it only attracts attention
when needed.
I don't know how easy that would be.