I hesitate to contribute to this discussion, other than to say that if
one is going to go to all the effort to make a rewrite of wesnoth, the
end product is kinda lackluster.  We already have wesnoth.  If one
wanted to go to all that effort, I'd suggest making a new project.
Ideally, a "sequel" to wesnoth - some game that uses wesnoth's
graphical resources, but has some major differences in its basic design.

There's a whole world of possibilities:
  - a different set of game mechanics.  Nothing wrong with the current
ones, but frankly, I'd like to try something new.  There's more than
one "great game design" out there waiting to be played.
- a major difference in graphical idioms.  I for one would be very
interested in a "3d terrain with 2d sprites" tactical/RPG game along
the lines of Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea.  Practically all of our
art would be reuseable.
- at the least, if one were basically rebuilding the engine from
scratch, fix some of our major engine design issues.  For example,
write the new one with OpenGL, instead of SDL_Image.  Again, this is
something that for various reasons, it would be best to do for a "new
project", because certain people do not want the existing wesnoth
project to use OpenGL.

It just seems crazy to me to embark on an enormous project to rewrite
what we already have in our hands, when that same effort could result
in a brand new game.

Also, even if you are intending to "replace the whole thing", the best
strategy is to do it incrementally, as Dave suggested.  Rewrite
particular "low-hanging fruit" parts of wesnoth in python, and keep
the whole thing in a release early/often state so that people can play
with it as you go.  Don't try and do a big monolithic effort to
rewrite everything at once.  It needs to continuously be kicking out
useable releases, because not being able to play your own game is
motivational suicide, and it's also extremely bad for attracting other
developers.