To follow up from the FOSDEM posting - I'd like to make some comments about the
Kalifa:

Art-wise, I'm intending (coursework permitting) to have a full set of base
frames and associated coding ready for them in time to release as UMC for
1.8/9.  I have a UMC project in the works which will make use of them, and
establish a (possibly alternate) canon for their location within the world of
Wesnoth, along with 3 other factions of my own devising.

Currently, I think I have 6 or so base frames left to finish, out of a total of
around 30 for the project as a whole.  I'll be releasing, at the earliest, when
all of the recruitable units in the era have base frames, probably when all the
base frames are done.  Hopefully, around the time of the release of the first
1.9 version.

Animations and portraits will come more slowly, and I don't know where I'll be
in terms of time for them this summer - more on this story later.

So from an artwork perspective, there shouldn't be an issue with bringing in
the Kalifa.  I shall watch the rest of the discussions with avid interest.
Rest assured that, all things being well with me, there will be a place for
them in some otherwise more or less mainline-quality UMC when I'm done

Phil/thespaceinvader