Ok, I've coded up something: https://gna.org/patch/index.php?1528
Boucman, I'd be honored if you could take a look.
The patch is very small, but in summary, I added a button to add named local
players, and left the possibility to put an anonymous one.
I don't create a new player if a similar named one already exists.

I tested it pretty heavily in a network game and a local game, in english
and in french. Saving and loading works as well... don't think I broke
anything :) .

Since is more a solution to a bug than a feature, is there any chance this
could get in before 1.8? Right now hot-seat looks pretty bad with all the
dialog between "Anonymous Local Player" and his alter ego.

And thanks YogiHH for the tip, it helped.

Gabba