On Friday 02 April 2010 7:37:30 am Mark de Wever wrote:

> The current behaviour is that the scrollwheel follows the keyboard
> focus; this means you need to select the widget and then you can use the
> scrollwheel and regardless where the mouse is it scrolls that widget.
>
> The behaviour wanted by some is that the scrollwheel follows the mouse
> focus; this means it scrolls the widget hovers above and if not above a
> widget or a non-scrollable widget nothing gets scrolled.

I'm pretty sure that someone (either you or ilor) asked months ago on IRC what
the behavior should be, and I gave my opinion — which hasn't changed since
then: the current behavior is dumb and awkward because it forces the user to
perform an extra click instead of being able to quickly and easily scroll the
widget like it's done in Qt4 and Gtk2. The current behavior is similar to the
one used by Windows — one of the reasons I can't stand using it for a single
minute nowadays.

Note that Qt4 and Gtk2 seem to implement (my) the desired behavior in
different ways: while using the scrollwheel on an unfocused Qt4 scrollview
changes the focus to the widget and triggers the scrolling action, on Gtk2 the
scrolling occurs without the focus change, as far as I can tell here (Qt4
4.5.3 and Gtk2 2.18.9 on Debian squeeze).

--
Regards
  Ignacio R. Morelle <shadowmaster>