On Friday 13 August 2010 5:50:36 am Nils Kneuper wrote:
> Personally I'd like to release with the stuff as it is on Monday simply
> because there will always be rough edges left in the very first release and
> I hope that we get many reports of those things so that it is easier to
> tackle them.

In the previous development cycle for 1.8, users didn't really test new
features (part of the GSoC program, no less) such as the new GUI2-based lobby
interface thoroughly, which resulted in important problems that weren't
properly reported and fixed in the first stable release (1.8 a.k.a. 1.8.0),
and had to be solved in a rush for 1.8.1.

It is my opinion that development releases need to be advertised more heavily
amongst the user community to avoid this from occurring again with projects
sponsored by the GSoC program. If it's necessary, development releases should
take a little longer to be released and other developers should really make
sure to test their changes prior to approving tagging schedules for each
version on IRC. The goal of having a stable release produced according to the
free Unix distributors' own schedules might need to be dropped as well to
ensure Wesnoth's quality improves rather than regress like in 1.8.0 this time
around.

Just my two cents.

--
Regards