Yes I believe interest is material when it comes to learning a foreign
language. Lugbara language for long has been made complicated by Lugbaras
failure to Open Up and learn other languages. Most of our people who lived in
Kampala in 1970s did not learn Luganda. Reason was that the Baganda were proud.
Most Lugbaras some tine ago could not learn  Kakwa, Madi or Alur, reason, some
naive superiority complex and defining Arua as the boundary of what they need.
If you have interest in learning other languages and you open up to other
people, your language begins to grow and with new terms adopted it becomes
rich. why should we have one word for example 'ti' to mean, mouth, language,
cow, giving birth e.t.c, why should we still call a girl child as 'eza mva'
after meat, and not oku mva, since male species are 'agupia mva' and 'tia mva'
ndria anva, aua mva, for animals. in Uganda, various events and tabloids are
building a certain diction and they have imported words which is bound to
remain part of our diction, semantics and create our English. In Uganda today
names of places far away mean different things, I do not intend to vulgarize
the debate but for example Kandahar, Vuvuzela,  mean different things in
Uganda. Now because of trade and movements, attitudes are changing, Lubgaras
can now speak Kakwa, Madi, Luganda, e.t.c. I am sure as more people speak a
dialect of Lugbara which is not typical Vura, Terego, Maracha or Ayivu, we are
bound to develop a high breed which cuts across the small counties called
tribes in Arua and hopefully our language will become simpler to learn.

Sent from my iPhone