Dear brothers and sisters
I want to remind you of the days of BAT. We left them alone to do whatever
they wanted. They failed to educate farmers about the value of planting
trees.
BAT introduced eucalyptus trees and planted them in the wetlands that fed
us during dry season.
Many of you who are 50+ remember our people used to produce vegetables;
sweet potatoes and cane sugar in the wet valleys.
50+ years today; majority of these wetlands have vanished. Ask that simple
question "Why". What happened?  Where did they go?
I saw similar problem in Kenya when I was in college. We went on
Environmental Science Tour of Masai Mara in June on out scars of Nairobi.
The dry heat makes the soil Crack into deep crevices you won't believe.
Animals have no grass to eat nor water to drink.
Sensitization and educating the population to plant trees is beginning of
the long journey. People need to understand co-existance with the flora and
fauna.
We can prevent the worst case by taking corrective actions now than "what
we do".  That is not a solution to the problem.