Hi Joe,

> Squid is not a proxy for FTP clients, it only talks to HTTP clients,
> though it will talk to FTP servers on behalf of HTTP clients.

Umm, that may be so (I have no idea so I'll take your word for it), but
unless I've missed something I don't understand how this affects what
I'm trying to do. I can retrieve stuff via ftp as attempt 3 shows, so I
don't believe it is the proxy that is the problem, it's wget not
supplying what I think is the correct information to the proxy in the
first place. This means that the proxy is unable to retrieve the file
on my behalf.

Regards,
--
Richard Travett,                Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  May all your communications be free from electro-magnetic disturbances,

delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.