Silly me.  I see FTP and Squid in the same sentence and assume it is
YAFQ (yet another ftp question--they happen all the time on the Squid list).

In this case, wget I guess is acting correctly as an http client, so no
problem there.

Looking at it again more closely, here's what I bet is happening:

First case...You provide rick@ in the hostname.  wget does not ask for
further auth information from you (it won't do that regardless of
whether a proxy is in place--I just tested it).  The ftp server denies
entry because a blank password is not acceptable login info in this case.

Second case...Anonymous login, which is accepted when authenticating.
Fails because the anonymous login chroots you to the /home/ftp or some
similar directory before even doing anything--so /path/to/your/file
becomes /home/ftp/path/to/your/file, which does not exist on your server.

Third case.  Works because the ftp server doesn't chroot you to the ftp
homedir first, and accepts your authentication because it is complete.

Seems to be expected behavior, doesn't it?  Or am I missing something again?

Hope this helps...

Richard Travett wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>

>>Squid is not a proxy for FTP clients, it only talks to HTTP clients,
>>though it will talk to FTP servers on behalf of HTTP clients.
>>

> Umm, that may be so (I have no idea so I'll take your word for it), but
> unless I've missed something I don't understand how this affects what
> I'm trying to do. I can retrieve stuff via ftp as attempt 3 shows, so I
> don't believe it is the proxy that is the problem, it's wget not
> supplying what I think is the correct information to the proxy in the
> first place. This means that the proxy is unable to retrieve the file
> on my behalf.
>
> Regards,

                      Joe Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances