Hi Joe,

Thanks for your comments so far.

> Silly me.  I see FTP and Squid in the same sentence and assume it is
> YAFQ (yet another ftp question--they happen all the time on the Squid list).

Thats ok.

> In this case, wget I guess is acting correctly as an http client, so no
> problem there.

[snip]

I agree with your interpretation of what is happening at the remote end
i.e. why the ftp is failing....

> Seems to be expected behavior, doesn't it?  Or am I missing something again?

...but I don't think it is expected behaviour because it says in the
help:

URL Format
==========

   "URL" is an acronym for Uniform Resource Locator.  A uniform
resource locator is a compact string representation for a resource
available via the Internet.  Wget recognizes the URL syntax as per
RFC1738.  This is the most widely used form (square brackets denote
optional parts):

     http://host[:port]/directory/file
     ftp://host[:port]/directory/file

   You can also encode your username and password within a URL:

     ftp://user:password@host/path
     http://user:password@host/path

   Either USER or PASSWORD, or both, may be left out.  If you leave out
either the HTTP username or password, no authentication will be sent.
If you leave out the FTP username, `anonymous' will be used.  If you
leave out the FTP password, your email address will be supplied as a
default password.(1)

[snip]

   (1) If you have a `.netrc' file in your home directory, password
will also be searched for there.

I *do* have a .netrc file in my home directory - so in cases 1 and 2
wget should be looking there for my login information shouldn't it?.

Rick.
--
Richard Travett,                Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  May all your communications be free from electro-magnetic disturbances,