On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 08:54:06AM +0100, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
> Wget currently uses "KB" as abbreviation for "kilobyte".  In a Debian
> bug report someone suggested that "kB" should be used because it is
> "more correct".  The reporter however failed to cite the reference for
> this, and a search of the web has proven inconclusive.
>
> Does someone understand the spelling issues involved enough to point
> out the "correct" spelling and back it up with arguments?

"kB" rather than "KB"? I think whoever filed that bugreport got it wrong, as
far as I know "kB" would always mean 1000 (bytes), since "k" = thousand, and
never ever 1024. If he'd said "KiB" I'd agree with him to a certain degree,
but "kB" simply can't be right.

 Rather than me trying to sum it up and risk typing something wrong, this
page seems to address the issue well:

  http://www.romulus2.com/articles/guides/misc/bitsbytes.shtml

Best regards,
 Henrik

--
Henrik van Ginhoven                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Storage for all kinds of waste                              http://mise.wox.org