[...]
>    Cygwin considers `c:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME' to be the
>    home directory.  I wonder if that is reachable through registry...
>
> Does anyone have an idea what we should consider the home dir under
> Windows, and how to find it?

Doesn't this depend on each user's personal preference?
I think most could live with
c:\Documents and Settings\all users (or whatever it is called in each
language)
or the cygwin approach
c:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME
which will be less likely to conflict with security limits on multi-user PCs
I think.
I personally would like to keep everything wget-ish in the directory its exe
is in
and treat that as its home dir.

BTW:
Is this bug connected to the bug under Windows, that saving into another
directory
than wget's starting dir by using the -P (--directory-prefix) option
does not work when switching drives?

wget -r -P C:\temp URL
will save to
.\C3A\temp\*.*

wget -r -P 'C:\temp\' URL
will save to
.\'C3A\temp\'\*.*

wget -r -P "C:\temp\" URL
does not work at all ('Missing URL') error

however
wget -r -P ..\temp2\ URL
works like a charme.

CU