Herold Heiko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> From my impressions of the Windows world, non-developers won't touch
>> source code anyway -- they will simply use the binary.
>
> I feel I must dissent.

I am greatly surprised.  Do you really believe that Windows users
outside an academic environment are proficient in using the compiler?
I have never seen a home Windows installation that even contained a
compiler, the only exception being ones that belonged to professional
C or C++ developers.

The very idea that a Windows user might grab source code and compile a
package is strange.  I don't remember ever seeing a Windows program
distributed in source form.

> Even today I'm not exactly a developer, I certainly wasn't when I
> first placed my greedy hands on wget sources (in order to add a
> couple of chars to URL_UNSAFE... back in 98 i think). I just knew
> where I could use a compiler and followed instructions.  I'd just
> like wget still being compilable in an old setup by (growing)
> newbies, for the learning value. Maybe something like a small note
> in the windows/Readme instructions would be ok, as by the enclosed
> patch ?

That would be fine with me.